Sunday, March 2, 2008

Some History

Well, I am not sure who will read this blog. I am not sure if at some point in a couple of weeks I will get sick of writing, or become to busy with other things and cannot write. I just hope I can continue to write and have people view the blog. I hope people will help me refine my ideas and share their own. Seeing this is my blog, and I can write about any subject, I am choosing to say a little bit about me. It is important in order to understand how some of my views came to be.

As mentioned in my personal information, I am 36 years old. I am happily married to my wife Jo-Ann. I consider myself to be outgoing and opinionated. Ten years ago I was very argumentative. I tried to push my ideas on people instead of simply expressing them. Like most people who do that, I quickly lost my audience. When I would start in on a subject people would find anyway to get away so as not to engage in agressive debates. I must say that from time to time that part of me jumps out, but I quickly put him back in the box. I save that part of me for the times that I really need to get my point across. I guess you can say that I choose my battles carefully. Its funny how age and experience shape how we communicate with people. It takes experience to listen, and really take in what they have to say. When you do that effectively what happens is pretty amazing. What they say becomes a part of you. It constantly shapes and molds how you view things. Maybe a different point of view will solidify your position. Others will modify, and yet there are other points of view that will completely change your mind all together. To keep an open and objective mind is really hard to do. I must say that I have learned to always really pay attention to other peoples ideas. It keeps things fresh.

Anyway a little more about me. Currently I am a systems engineer for a company called Lionbridge. It is a third party test house that performs various test services for all types of companies in the industry. I am in charge of an account in Marlboro Ma. For those not familiar, it is about 20 miles west of Boston. I have been with the company a little over a year. I work with people every day that have varying skill levels with varying opinions on just about everything.
Prior to that I was doing some in between work with a friends lighting company. I installed commercial lighting systems in all types of companies. It was hard work, but I enjoyed it while I was there. Although I must say when I left I did not regret it. The longest I have ever been with a company was nine years. It was with a company called EMC. The largest data storage company in the world. I learned plenty while I was there. I really grew and thrived with the company during my time there.
Then there was the restaurant business before that. Now that seems like a lifetime ago. I worked at many places with varying degrees of success. I even managed a place for a while. It was in that time frame I learned about people, all types of people. I learned a little about business, and I guess really came out of my shell. Lets not forget that currently I am working part time in retail for Lowes. Its a little extra pocket money, and I guess you could say that I am working with people again. It is the best way to get a picture of how people feel about things.

The reason I am talking about all of this, is to explain how I formed my opinions. I have a really good understanding of what the country is going through. My life put me in many different roles, and I learned first hand many realities. From life in corporate America, to everyday folks performing countless jobs. I am a witness to life in America. It is from that vantage point that I speak, and that is how I formed my views. I must say that they do change from time to time, but at this point I am pretty consistent. So to anyone who reads this, please feel free to let me know what you think. I want you to share with me your views and your feelings. I hope that this will become a regular stop for people. I hope that something really important will come from writing this blog. Something more I hope than just data stored on a server somewhere. Only time will tell. Until next time.....

No comments: